There is nothing like home-made bread.
I’ve managed to mash this recipe together after a few years, various recipes, and lots of trial and error. Too much wheat equals a brick. No wheat and well, it just isn’t wheat bread. Lately, I’ve been using King Arthur Flour: White Whole Wheat. It’s mild, unbleached, and zero preservatives.
I make this bread once a week in the fall/winter because it requires very little effort on my part aaaaaaaaaand we all know that I’m not a knead-y chick.
So here goes my recipe for No-Knead Wheat Bread! I hope you enjoy it!
No-Knead Wheat Bread
2 cups all-purpose bread flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon corn meal (optional)
Ground flaxseed to taste (optional)
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
Extra flour for dusting
1. Mix flour, yeast, flax seed, salt and sugar together in a large bowl
2. Add warm water and mix until batter is sticky.
3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside. Let it rise between 12-18 hours. I usually whip it together when I wake up and then it’s ready to pop in the oven before dinner.
4. After the dough has risen for it’s substantial amount of time, preheat your oven to 500 degrees with the dutch oven or bread pan inside. I put it right in the oven when I’m making the dough so I don’t forget.
5. Dump out your sticky, yeasty, bread dough onto your floured wax paper.
6. Tuck in all the sides until it’s a nice little roll.
7. Let rest for 15-20 minutes longer and then dump it into your steaming hot dutch oven.
8. Sprinkle cornmeal over the top. It’s not necessary, but I love how it looks.
9. Bake with lid on for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake until the top is brown. Usually another 10 minutes.
My daughter loves this bread right out of the oven with scrambled eggs or with a crock-pot meal. I love it in the morning as toast for breakfast. Let me know what you think!!
Bread is love,